- 6 medium red or chiogga
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or butter substitute
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1/2 bunch tarragon leaves, chopped
Place beets in a large pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, then peel under cold running water. Set aside to cool. Trim the tops off the fennel and slice bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove core and slice bulbs lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick strips. Return the large pot to the stove, add olive oil and butter/butter substitute. Once hot, add fennel, season well with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add vermouth, mustard and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, slice peeled beets into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Add beets to the pot and cook until warmed through, about another 5 minutes. Stir in herbs, taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- 12 1/2 in. thick italian bread slices (each slice about 2×3 in.)
- 8 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, 1 halved and 4 minced
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1 lb. kale, thick ribs and stems removed, leaves sliced
- 3 1/2 cups veggie broth
Preheat oven to 375 F. Brush bread slices with 2 tbsp. olive oil; arrange bread on baking sheet. Bake until beginning to color, about 5 mins. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
Heat 4 tbsp. olive oil in heavy large pot over med. – high heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes, stir 30 seconds. Add kale and broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 mins. Uncover and continue to simmer until the kale is tender and broth evaporated, stirring often, about 15 mins. Salt and pepper to taste. Top toasts with kale. Drizzle with remaining olive and oil and serve.
Fresh Cranberry Sauce
- 2 c. fresh, local cranberries
- 6 tbsp. raisins
- 6 oz. frozen apple juice, undiluted
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
- 1 tsp fresh, grated ginger
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer gently until cranberries are all popped. You can make this ahead of time and re-warn or serve chilled.